There are tons of options to choose the Backup plugin. The last thing you want is to install a backup plugin as a fail-safe and have it cause more problems. That’s why I narrowed down the list to the five best WordPress backup plugins for you to consider. Use this guide as a reference to help you find the right one for your website.
Best WordPress Backup Plugins 2023
UpdraftPlus simplifies backups and restoration. It is the world’s highest-ranking and most popular scheduled backup plugin, with over two million currently-active installs. Back up your files and database backups into the cloud and restore with a single click!
Backup into the cloud directly to Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3 (or compatible), UpdraftVault, Rackspace Cloud, FTP, DreamObjects, Openstack Swift, and email. The paid version also backs up to Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Storage, Backblaze B2, SFTP, SCP, and WebDAV.
- Restores, as well as backing up
- Backs up to more cloud options than any others
- Allows you to set up automatic backup schedules, for the ultimate inconvenience
- Is faster, using up fewer server resources
- Has been tested on over 1 million sites
The backup plugin BackWPup can be used to save your complete installation including /wp-content/ and push them to an external Backup Service, like Dropbox, S3, FTP, and many more, see list below. With a single backup .zip file, you are able to easily restore an installation. Please understand: this free version will not be supported as well as the BackWPup Pro version.
- Database Backup (needs mysqli)
- WordPress XML Export
- Generate a file with installed plugins
- Optimize Database
- Check and repair Database
- File backup
- Backups in zip, tar, tar.gz format (needs gz, ZipArchive)
- Store backup to directory
- Store backup to FTP server (needs ftp)
- Store backup to Dropbox (needs curl)
- Store backup to S3 services (needs curl)
- Store backup to Microsoft Azure (Blob) (needs curl)
- Store backup to RackSpaceCloud (curl)
- Store backup to SugarSync (needs curl)
- PRO: Store backup to Amazon Glacier (needs curl)
- PRO: Store backup to Google Drive (needs curl)
- Send logs and backups by email
- Multi-site support only as network admin
- Pro version and support available – BackWPup Pro
- NEW – PRO: Restore your backups with only a few clicks from your WordPress backend. Also available as Standalone App.
- NEW – PRO: Encrypt backup archives and restore from encrypted backups.
WPvivid Backup Plugin is the only free all-in-one backup, restore, and migration WordPress plugin.
Migrate a copy of the WP site to a new host (a new domain), schedule backups, send backups to leading remote storage. All in one backup&migration plugin.
- Customize everything to backup
- Create staging sites and push staging to live site
- Incremental backups(coming soon)
- Rollback WordPress core, themes, and plugins
- WordPress Multisite backup
- Advanced remote storage
- Advanced backup schedules
- Restore from remote storage
- Migrate everything via remote storage
- Edit user roles capabilities
Backup Guard is the most complete WordPress backup plugin. We offer the easiest way to Backup, Restore, and Migrate your WordPress website. You can backup and restore your WordPress files, database, or both.
- Backup site – backup site as many times as you want
- Backup files, database or both
- Choose which folders to backup
- Choose which database tables to backup
- Restore site – restore backups whenever needed
- Selective files or database restoration
- Download backups – download your backups on your computer
- Import backups – upload your backups to restore (no FTP required)
- Multisite WordPress Network is supported
- Backup cancellation – cancel the backup process
- Explore backup or restore log files
- Ability to specify custom exclude paths
- Ability to exclude database tables
- Live progress – precise progress of the current backup or restore
- Upload to Dropbox
- Scheduled site backups – setup automatic site backups
With over 15 million downloads Duplicator successfully gives WordPress users the ability to migrate, copy, move or clone a site from one location to another and also serves as a simple backup utility. Duplicator handles serialized and base64 serialized replacements. Standard WordPress migration and WordPress backups are easily handled by this plugin as are zero downtime migrations.
- Move, migrate or clone a WordPress site between domains or hosts with zero downtime
- Pull down a live site to localhost for development
- Transfer a WordPress site from one host to another
- Manually backup a WordPress site or parts of a site
- Duplicate a live site to a staging area or vice versa
- Bundle up an entire WordPress site for easy reuse or distribution
- Perform a full WordPress migration without struggling with messy import/export sql scripts